YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Help is available.
To Get Help call our Family Helpline 216.229.8800.
To report child abuse in Cuyahoga County, OH, call 216.696.KIDS (5437)
Types of Child Abuse
*Adapted from HelpGuide.org "Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing and Preventing Child Abuse"
Emotional Child Abuse: can leave lifelong psychological scars
Child Neglect: A pattern of failing to provide for a child's basic needs, such as adequate food, clothing, hygiene or supervision
- Constant shaming, humiliating and belittling
- Name-calling, negative comparisons to others and put-downs
- Frequent yelling, threatening and/or bullying
- Rejections and telling a child they are "no good," "worthless," "bad" or "a mistake"
- Giving a child the silent treatment or ignoring them as punishment
- No hugs, misses or other signs of affection
- Exposing a child to violence or the abuse of others - a parent, sibling or pet
Physical Child Abuse: physical harm or injury to a child
- a parent might not be able to care for their child due to a serious injury, untreated depression or anxiety
- alcohol or drug abuse may seriously impair judgement and the ability to keep a child safe
- neglect is not always easy to spot, but the child might take on the role of the parent at home
Child Sexual Abuse: usually occurs at the hands of someone the child know and believes they should be able to trust, such as close relatives
- unlike discipline, physical abuse include the following elements: unpredictability, lashing out in anger and using fear to control behavior
- hitting, punching, strangulation, kicking, pinching, hair-pulling, biting, shoving, etc.
- fondling a child, incest, rape, etc.
Trauma Services & Clinical Counseling
For Children and Teens:
Intake: Family Helpline at 216.229.8800
- Individual Counseling: For children and adolescents who have experienced violence or abuse, including child abuse, domestic violence, and witnessing violence in the home. Our clinical staff are experts in the field of violence and abuse and are trained in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Art Therapy, Play Therapy and more.
- Child Therapy Group: A program that works to heal and provides counseling for children ages 6-12 who have experienced sexual or physical abuse or other trauma.
- Teen Therapy Group: Provides counseling for teens ages 12-17 who have experienced abuse, violence or trauma.
- Teen Parent Group: For pregnant and parenting teens, focusing on relationships, boundaries and other concerns of teen parenting. This is a mental health counseling group to assist the teens to work through their issues so they can be healthier parents to their children.
- Art Therapy: Registered Board Certified Art Therapists/School Psychologists provide art therapy to children individually and in a group format. (Please call 216-391-4357)
For Adult Survivors of Abuse:
- Individual Counseling: For survivors of child abuse and victims of domestic violence. Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and other approaches addressing the underlying trauma are provided. (Please call 216.229.2420)
- Group Therapy: For adult survivors of child abuse dealing with the impact, trauma and emotional effects and challenges of the abuse on adult life. (Call 216.229.8800)